Sunday 15 July 2012

Our 94th slice of toast - Cream cheese, olives & capers

Neither Grace nor I have had capers before.  At least not knowingly anyway.  They are imported from Morocco and jared in brine, much like many olives.  We again went for the olive and feta pots from our local Co-Operative.  The olives taste consistently good from these and we just ate the feta separately.  I've no idea how that bright red section of what I guess to be pepper made it there though (see picture).  It certainly failed at being inconspicuous, being red and all.  We ate it.  It won't do that again.

We didn't want to go crazy with the capers and also decided not to taste them alone first, either through fear or a rather dampened sense of adventure that day for whatever reason.  Whatever the reason, we didn't.  Were weren't particularly able to taste them at all with this slice.  I felt there was a flavour above the cheese and olives, something similar to the olive but slightly stronger and tangier, but I couldn't have pinpointed a caper.  I'll try more next time.  If there is a next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment