Wednesday 25 April 2012

Our 43rd slice of toast - Icing sugar

Another successful british business recently sold to America, Tate and Lyle are famous for their wonderful sugar. But who thought people would get so fussy on their plain and simple sugar? Well we certainly were and so opted for their finest sugar - icing sugar. As Grace discovered in due course, you need a surprisingly small amount of water to get a good consistency as those super dainty little sugar grains soak that water up like bounty (the super-soaker-up-er-bounty, not the chocolate bar). I hope you sung the song.

We chose a slightly less thick consistency than you would use on a cake so that it spread well. Using our consistency atop a cake would result in many long sweet drainpipes all down the sides which, unless it was a fantasy house cake, would look rather silly . On applying mine, I tried to make some funky swirling patterns for arts and fun, but they smeared together leaving me no choice but to smooth it all over. I was a little disappointed at this, but my frown was soon turned upside down once I had taken my first bite. It tasted wonderful, with its smooth silky topping filling in all the holes in the soft but coarse natured bread. I recommend this, but please consider your application method before finalising your consistency. We make these mistakes so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment