Friday 20 April 2012

Our 42nd slice of toast - Apple sauce

We purchased some Colman's apple sauce from our local co-operative. This was because we didn't make any at home, which I inherently regret. I have made my own apple sauce before and it is an easy and rewarding task. Take some apple, chop them up skins removed and boil them in a little water, continually adding more water until you reach the desired consistency. I then add some nutmeg and a quite hearty serving of cinnamon, plus a dash of salt to bring out the flavour. Simple, but superb.

Big brand apple sauce, such as Colman's, instead only contains 70% apples. They also chose to use bramley apples which I personally find less tasty then golden delicious in apple sauce. Grace agreed with me on this. Either way, we piled the apple sauce on the butter free toast and added a sprinkle of cinnamon over the top too, leaving behind a well defined toast stencil. I do love stencils. Grace, who I may remind you LOVED the super sickly s'mores slice of toast, found this apple sauce too sweet! So she had to scrape quite a lot off to finish hers.

I would like to recommend homemade apple sauce on toast. But not store bought. In fact, I wouldn't really recommend store bought apple sauce for anything culinary, but instead for perhaps some form of art or decor, or as ammunition on the end of a spoon flick for attacking neighbouring enemies. Then they will feel disgraced to have been attacked by store bought apple sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment