Saturday 19 May 2012

Our 65th slice of toast - Spam

If someone was to offer you spiced ham, you would probably accept their gracious offer. If however that person was to offer you Spam, you would inevitably decline their equally gracious offer. It hasn't achieved a great name over the years since its inception in 1937 and I'm sure its name doesn't do it any favours. Perhaps this is just because of the term used for junk emails, or for people with large foreheads at school. In either case the name isn't pretty and Grace has been in fear of this topping since day 1 of our adventure. I do have to mention though, that in containing 89% pork, that's 11% more than the Sainsbury's basics ham slices we had previously with our hawaiian slice.

I decided to go for the original recipe rather than reduced salt of added 'bacon' bits varieties. It was quite difficult to remove from the can as it was very compact. I also microwaved it as thing are often better hot. I didn't allow Grace to skimp on this topping and she filled her slice willingly. I wasn't dreading this much as I believe I'd had Spam fritters in the past and they weren't half bad, and the slice wasn't bad either. Even Grace found to her surprise that she didn't actually hate it. I tried not to wear my 'told you so' face after insisting it wouldn't be so bad. Clearly names aren't everything. Don't judge a tin of Spam by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment