Tuesday 8 May 2012

Our 55th slice of toast - Pear spread

This was a homemade topping which was, as previously suggested, made at home. This is a kind of marmalade type recipe and it was suggested that I store it in jars and process in a water bath. Well I skipped this step as I wanted to eat it the next day. Plus, I don't have any grandchildren to impress with my marvelous marmalade making mastery. So this was just a 'spread'.

The ingredients were as follows:

  • 2 pears, cored and sliced
  • Half an unpeeled lemon, thinly sliced
  • Some sugar
  • Some honey
  • Enough water to produce the desired consistency
  • Some fresh rosemary

I pride myself on precise quantities. I also purchased my very own rosemary plant that I now keep proudly on my windowsill. I may even buy a mini watering can.

The spread was quite disappointing. The pear and honey would have worked well as a pear sauce (much like your standard apple sauce) but this had lemon rind in it which, despite being less sharp post-cooking than raw, still hit too hard. Neither of us are big fans of rindy marmalade. But for the rindy marmalade fan - who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment